Pay Rate: $13/hour
Hours: An average of 8 hours/week, flexible schedule
Duration: June 15th, 2022 – September 18th 2022
Rockford Art Museum is seeking two passionate high school students to serve as Junior Museum Assistants for the summer of 2022. We are welcoming talented students of all backgrounds who have a special interest in the arts and would like to gain valuable work experience in a museum setting. This position is part-time with an average of 8 hours per week. The schedule will vary week by week based on museum exhibitions and programs, but will remain flexible. The ideal candidate will have a goal of pursuing a career in the arts. Applications will be accepted through May 31st, 2022 and interviews will be conducted through June 10th, 2022. Successful applicants can expect to start on Wednesday, June 15th, 2022.
This opportunity is fully funded by the Illinois Arts Council Agency as part of their Summer Youth Employment in the Arts Program.
The Junior Museum Assistant position will offer opportunities to work within many of Rockford Art Museum’s various departments. Junior Museum Assistants will work under each department as needed, including but not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Acts as a classroom aide for RAM programs including family events, summer camps and community outreach events
- Helps to develop content for community outreach kits
- Assists with the “Creations by Kids” tent at RAM’s Greenwich Village Art Fair event
- Photographs events and programs for documentation and marketing
- Works with RAM’s collection, including observing how objects are stored, moved, and installed/deinstalled in the galleries
- Works with exhibition-specific files and research
- Assists with the installation of collection exhibits (including painting walls and using power tools)
- Helps maintain a tidy workspace and organizes storage spaces
Visitor Services Department:
- Greets and assists visitors to the museum and the museum store
- Acts as a professional representative of the museum
- Provides outstanding customer service to a diverse visitor base
- Distributes information about current and upcoming events and programming to visitors and interested parties
- A passion for the arts
- Must be currently enrolled in High School, or graduated in 2022
- Ability to follow directions and complete tasks on time
- Ability to work independently
- Comfortable working in an environment with groups of children
- Promptness and transportation to/from the museum.
- Ability and willingness to participate in events in the evenings and on weekends
- Must be able to bend and lift up to 25 pounds
- Computer literacy
Please fill out the application below and upload a resume and a list of 3 references. Please include your reference’s name, title (if applicable), phone number, and their relationship to you. The resume and references can be submitted as either a PDF or Word document. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.